If you’re an adult with type 2 diabetes, there are many good reasons for being compliant with medical recommendations for your condition. Making appropriate eating and lifestyle choices, taking medications as needed, and adhering to your doctor’s instructions typically lead to a longer, happier and healthier life. What’s more, you can still do most of the things you love to do. And you’ll likely spend less on medical care by controlling your diabetes.
Now there’s yet another way you can be rewarded for being compliant with your diabetes treatment. John Hancock Life Insurance has partnered with Vitality — a technology-based wellness program that helps people develop healthy lifestyle habits — to offer a new kind of life insurance that can protect your financial future while offering significant savings and rewards for living healthy. In fact, the program offers a solution that can allow people with type 2 diabetes to save up to 15% in premiums and get rewarded for the everyday things they likely already do to manage their condition, such as exercising, maintaining a healthy weight, and eating well.
Benefits of John Hancock Vitality
Healthy eating, regular exercise, and routine health care and stress reduction can help people living with type 2 diabetes manage their blood sugar and overall health. John Hancock Vitality life insurance can help you do all that, while also offering you affordable coverage. Here are some examples of how you can benefit from the John Hancock Vitality Program as you live a healthy life:
- Financial protection no matter what life brings
- Up to 15% in premium savings year after year¹
- The opportunity to earn an Apple Watch Series 3 by exercising regularly²
- A complimentary Fitbit® device instead of Apple Watch, or a discounted fitness tracker, such as a Polar or Garmin
- Up to $600 in savings on the healthy food you buy at more than 16,000 grocers nationwide³
- A free 12-month subscription to Headspace® as part of the HealthyMind™ benefit
- An easy-to-use app and website with health-related resources, including the Tufts Health & Nutrition Letter, webinars, financial fitness tips, and Live More magazine
- Entertainment, shopping, and travel rewards5
What Is Vitality
Vitality is a global leader in integrating wellness benefits with life insurance products. Its interactive, personalized programs help millions of people worldwide identify and track health and lifestyle goals to develop better overall health.
Vitality uses a science-based approach to empower and engage people in developing healthy behaviors and lifestyle habits for the long term. Together with Vitality, John Hancock has created a solution that’s proven to help life insurance policyholders take charge of their physical, emotional and financial well-being. Backed by science and experience, here’s why the John Hancock Vitality Program works:
- Personal behaviors drive health and life outcomes.
- The science shows that rewards and incentives can motivate people to change behavior.
- The concept is already working in other segments of the insurance industry, e.g., automobile insurance.
- The program is backed by Vitality’s 20 years of experience, with proof that this program works for life insurance.
- It’s a win-win-win for society, John Hancock and for the insured.
How Vitality Works
Little things can make a big difference when it comes to your overall health and wellbeing. It’s as simple as taking the stairs instead of the elevator, choosing a healthy snack, or finding a few minutes to meditate each day. Over time, these small choices can lead to big changes!
John Hancock Vitality members earn Vitality Points for the everyday things they do to stay healthy. And the more points they earn, the higher their Vitality Status, and the greater their total premium savings and rewards. There are three steps to getting rewarded:
Accumulate Vitality PointsMembers earn Vitality Points for the steps they take to be healthy, like walking, going to the gym, eating well, or meditating.
Earn a Vitality StatusEach year, the number of Vitality Points members accumulate determines their Vitality Status (Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum). The higher their status, the greater their rewards.
Get rewardedOn their policy anniversary, members enjoy premium savings, rewards, and discounts that reflect the status level they’ve achieved in the previous year.
People who are participating in the John Hancock Vitality Program are showing the results. Since the program began, they have:
- Taken an average of 8,586 steps per day, compared to 5,000 steps for the average American
- Made more than 300,000 reward transactions, to a value of more than $2.8 million
How to Pay Less for Life Insurance
As a person with living with type 2 diabetes, maintaining a compliant lifestyle (i.e., one that follows your doctor’s recommendations) will likely extend your life and possibly even save it. It also makes it easier to obtain the life insurance needed to provide a financial safety net for your family — and to pay less for it. Your life insurance premiums will be based on a variety of factors, including:
- When you were diagnosed
- Your age, weight and height
- Family history and personal medical history
- The type of diabetes you have
- The medication you are taking
- How well controlled your condition is, e.g., glucose/blood sugar levels, A1C
Taking your medications, eating healthy foods and exercising regularly reduces your risk factors, enabling insurance carriers to lower the cost of the premium.
Getting involved in a fun, engaging wellness program like John Hancock Vitality can make it easier to stay compliant with your doctor’s recommendations for controlling your diabetes. It gives you access to information and resources to support improving your health. You are guided to set achievable goals. The handy app and fitness device make it easy to see your progress. And you get rewarded — via lower insurance premiums and valuable rewards — for developing habits that can help you live a longer, healthier life.
1. Premium savings are in comparison to the same John Hancock policy without the Vitality program. Annual premium savings will vary based upon policy type, the terms of the policy, and the level of [the insured’s] participation in the John Hancock Vitality Program. Please consult your financial representative as to how premium savings may affect the policy you purchase.
2. Apple Watch program is not available in New York. You can order Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) by electronically signing, at checkout, a Retail Installment Agreement with the Vitality Group, for the retail price of the watch. After an initial payment of $25 plus tax, over the next two years, monthly out-ofpocket payments are based on the number of workouts completed. Upgrade fees apply if you choose Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), certain bands and case materials. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) and iPhone service provider must be the same. Cellular is not available with all service providers. Roaming is not available outside your carrier network coverage area. Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Contact your service provider for more details. Check www.apple.com/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion. Apple Watch is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
3. HealthyFood benefit is available to you for qualifying purchases during your first program year regardless of your Vitality Status. In subsequent program years, the benefit will be available to you only if you’ve achieved Gold or Platinum Status.
4. The Vitality HealthyMind benefit and the free 12-month Headspace subscription are not available in New York.
5. In New York, entertainment, shopping, and travel rewards are not available and are replaced by healthy living and active lifestyle rewards.
Rewards may vary based on the type of insurance policy purchased for the insured (Vitality program member), the ownership, and the inforce status of the insurance policy, and the state where the insurance policy was issued.
Rewards and discounts are subject to change and are not guaranteed to remain the same for the life of the policy.
Vitality is the provider of the John Hancock Vitality Program in connection with policies issued by John Hancock. Insurance products are issued by John Hancock Life Insurance Company (U.S.A.), Boston, MA 02210 (not licensed in New York) and John Hancock Life Insurance Company of New York, Valhalla, NY 10595. MLINY082918211